Area SQKM by Australian Commonwealth Electoral Division
D3 map featuring cloropeth colors, tooltip, scroll zoom and map control
Getting and formating the data
In order to draw Australian map, we need the Geography Boundaries and we can get this shapefile from here: https://datapacks.censusdata.abs.gov.au/datapacks/
Australian Bureau of Statistics: https://datapacks.censusdata.abs.gov.au/datapacks/
Now we have the file — CED_2016_AUST.zip — we have to upload this file on https://mapshaper.org/
- Upload all the files downloaded in the directoryon https://mapshaper.org/ and click Import
- You will see the Australian map.
- Now we will decrease the size simplifying and export as GeoJSON. We used 4% but you can use any value.
- Next, we’ll visit the Ogre to Ogre (ogr2ogr) web client to convert our file to the correct EPSG:4326 coordinate system. https://ogre.adc4gis.com/
- Upload the GeoJSON simplified
Now we have the GeoJSON formatted to work with d3.js.